WiFi is a fantastic technology that has revolutionised access to the internet. Prior to WiFi computers could only be connected via cable. WiFi freed this up to enable devices like laptops, mobile phones, printers, voice assistants and CCTV cameras to connect to the internet without wires.
Slow WiFi is frustrating. To identify your WiFi issues and suggestions for fixing them, read on….
1. Being blocked by walls. WiFi is a radio, it works by transmitting and receiving radio signals. Unfortunately any walls between your device and the WiFi antenna or your modem will block the signal. As a rule of thumb the WiFi will still work with one wall between your device an the WiFi modem, two walls between may work but will be significantly slower and three walls will make the signal too weak to be useful. Mirrors and metal sheeting are even worse obstructions for WiFi
The solution is to install WiFi access points closer to where the WiFi is required. This actually requires some cabling to be installed from your modem to the Access Point. Other temporary solutions such as Powerline adapters may also work
2. Too many other WiFi points in the vicinity. This is a major problem in large shared office or retail spaces. There are so many businesses in the area that all their WiFI points interfere with each other. The WiFi will be slow even if the signal is strong.
The solution is to switch to a different frequency band. Most WiFI points default to 2.4 Ghz band which only has 3 non overlapping channels . The 5Ghz band has 23 non overlapping channels and it is easier to find a less congested channel.
3. Too many connected devices. In a large office space or conference centre too many devices connected to the same WiFi access point will cause congestion. This is because the most entry level modems or domestic grade devices will only cater for a small number of users before becoming congested,. This can occur even if there is enough speed on the main Internet service
The solution is to invest in quality business grade WiFi points and plan the installation to cater for the number of users expected in an area.
4. Old Devices on the network. Many older devices only operate on slower WiFi technology. Unfortunately the entry level WiFi modems will slow down everyone to the connection speed of the slowest device.
The solution again is to invest in quality business grade WiFi points that can manage a mix of devices without slowing down.
5. Interference from devices like Exit Signs, microwaves and cordless phones. WiFi works on an unregulated radio spectrum , which means you don’t need a radio license to use it. However it also means that it can be subject to high levels of interference from other devices that share the same spectrum.
The solution is to locate the source of the interference. Also make sure you have a good signal on the WiFi access point by using the solution outlined in point 1.
For a free WiFi audit of your business please contact Excelero IT Solutions on (03) 9555 4986 or via our contact form. Offer is available to business’s in the Bayside and CBD areas of Melbourne.